Monday, October 24, 2011

What exactly is podcasting? How is podcasting relevant to the ELA classroom? Testing, Testing, 1-2-3.


     Podcasting is a method of visual or auditory technological communication.  A podcast usually has some sort of theme and a host.  Podcasts are convenient because you can download or subscribe, and listen to them at your leisure (and they are free).
     Keeping in mind the relevancy of podcasting to the middle school English Language Arts classroom, I created a list of potential benefits.  Podcasting promotes authenticity and collaboration amongst peers and possibly across a school community.  Because it is authentic, and is published by the students it is meaningful, and therefore engaging.  Podcasting promotes media literate citizens.  The message or content of the podcast is sent out globally, and thus can be very powerful.  Because people have the ability to provide feedback to podcasts, social relationships can be formed.  Audio podcasts have pure communicative value.  They encourage speaking effectively and eloquently.  Podcasts motivate good writing, provide a creative outlet to share ideas, and support shy students in the development oracy skills.
     There are many different themes or contexts for creating podcasts.  Here are a few that I have come up with:  newsletters home to parents, a school radio program, radio plays, musical recordings, panel debates between historical figures, reading books to the blind, to the elderly, or to sick children, and recording performances.  I am sure that there are many more ideas floating around out there.
     I put myself to the test in creating a podcast.  It took me a little bit of time but I managed to find a host at www.podbean.com.  I have also discovered how to link this podcast to my blog.  The inspiration of this podcast came from friends who have recently had a grandson diagnosed with cancer.  His name is Henry Down, and he is almost two years old.  He is undergoing chemotherapy at Children’s Hospital in Vancouver.  I thought it would be a great experience for my nieces to be able to read stories to Henry.  I also approached some of Henry’s extended family and they were thrilled to become involved.  
     Creating the first episode with my niece, Darien, was everything you would hope for as a teacher.  She was thoroughly engaged, and begged to write her own note to Henry which she read (by the way she is only in grade 1).  She was very aware how she sounded on the recording, and only stopped striving to sound more polished because it was bedtime.  When we played episode one back to her parents, she was beaming with pride.  
     Creating this podcast was not a simple task, but it certainly was a valuable education lesson in technology.  This experience has enabled me to observe first hand the effect podcasting has on engaging learners.  If this endeavor is any indication of how podcasts are received by students in general, I think that podcasting will be a very useful tool in the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. It was so worth the wait to get to listen to the podcast! I love the enthusiasm in Darien's voice :o)

    Darien's comments about reading are priceless!

    This is a wonderful project, Lisa. I wish you well with it!

    ReplyDelete