Thursday, December 1, 2011

An Evolving Vision


To write this blog entry I went back to where I started from, Blog #1.  I haven’t read this entry in 3 months.  I was interested, and excited to see what I had written and thought, back then.  Reading the blog brought a smile to my face.  I still believe strongly in my vision, however, like I had hoped for, my vision has evolved to include so much more. 
The more essentially translates in the hows.  At the beginning of this course I had no idea of how I was going to execute my vision with any sort of confidence.  At this point I feel as if I am gaining confidence.  I have learned that authenticity and choice are quintessential in engaging and meaningful learning.  I learned that if I write beside my students in a writer’s workshop environment there will be increased engagement.  I have learned different strategies to make learning fun.  I have learned that it is ok to play with language, draw, and read children’s books to students as a stepping off point.  I have learned to support students with writing prompts and territories (things we never had in my English classes).  I have learned the value of group work in supporting students with oracy.  I have learned that oracy is just as important as writing and reading.  It is the skill for integrating interpersonal, thinking, and language skills. I recognize that balance is the key to the ELA curriculum, which is supported by the IRPs.  I have learned that students need encouragement but want honest, and thoughtful feedback.  My vision is not yet clear, but it is becoming clearer.
Blogging has been a forum for which I was able to sort out my hows.  I have grown through being able to express my vision.  Now for a confession  I thought that blogging was a new age way of writing essays and handing in papers.  It turns out my opinion has evolved once again.  Blogging has a valid place in ELA education. It has forced me to think critically about my posts (as I have a very large and authentic audience), and to develop an ELA teaching philosophy.  It has been a useful tool, one that I will try to incorporate into my classroom.  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your great thoughts, Lisa! I agree that wider-audience component is hugely motivating for me to get my post "right." I never revised so much for one paper handed to my teacher.

    I'm curious, how do the Performance Standards fit into your vision? Do you think you will use them for assessment?

    Thanks for keeping an open mind in class - and for sharing your ideas. I wish you all the best next term and in your practicum. You have so much to share with your students - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete